Friday, April 11, 2008

Different

Names

So we arrived in Ghana the other night after over a day of traveling.
As we walked off the tarmac into the Accra airport we notices a sign
for Ed Parker. It was almost the name of one of the guys in our group,
Ed PACKER...just a little different. After asking one that guy holding
the sign, and then another, we finally decided that it was close enough
and they took us throught the govenment official line for immigration.
It turns out that our friend Kweku (the engineer who runs the shop we
will be ago), has connections at the airport here and has like 5
airport employees helping us out, not including the other 10 guys
outside there to help us.
Before getting there we learned how people recieve names in Ghana, its
a little different; they have a name for each day of the week on which
you are born. I looked it up and it turns out I am a Friday baby, and
therefore I am either yoofi, fifi or kofi. I like kofi. Wouldn't that
be easier when deciding what to name your baby?


Temperature

The first night we got in, it was 100 degrees at 10 pm. This was quite
a bit different from the 25 and snowing we left in Utah. Refreshing at
first, but today I noticed that my fabric watch band is only dry at
night when I take it off. I am sweating the entire day except when in
our air conditioned bedroom that hits you like a wall when
entering...the Ghanaians can't believe how cold we like it.


Cuting costs

I'll have to post a video of them cutting metal. They have power tools
here, but becuase tools cost more than labor and waste more metal, they
prefer to use a hacksaw and hammer and chisel. It took around 2 hours
for Bubba Isa to cut a 2'x 2' plate from a 1/4" thick sheet of steel.



10 apples up on top
One of the coolest things we've done yet was when we went out to machinist market to buy material for our merry go round. I wish I could upload pictures...but on this connection, I can't even upload

No comments: