Thursday, July 16, 2009

Serious Cramp During Triathlon

Coming from a background of mountain biking, I chuckled to myself when
a group of 250 triathletes groaned when the short dirt road on the
bike section was discussed at the pre-race orientation. When the
announcer told everyone to go slow here I couldn't help but envision
myself easily breezing by all these roadies who are used to smooth
warm asphalt. It turned out to be not easy. This picture was taken on
a straight away when I was crossing over the soft center of the road
and almost ate it. I caught myself but while doing so embers of a mild
cramp in my left calf raged into a roaring fire. It was almost
completely dehibilitating. This moment right here caught in this photo
caused 3 days of a sore calf and a slight limp.

What causes cramps like this? And how do I prevent them?

It is supremely gratifying to finish a race and feel like you're about
to die just after crossing the line. But you know that it is over and
that you gave it your all...nothing left. Pain makes the
accomplishment sweeter.

1 comment:

mary had a... said...

Amen on that one, Bun... And I must say, I like your logical outlook on life!